Wednesday, 22 April 2015

Tea Talk #3 | Body Image & "Perfection"

Okay so this is a very touchy subject for some of us including me but I feel as a girl who is being told how to dress and how to look by the society that I live in that it's very important to talk about how I feel about this and ask your opinions on the topic. I understand that not all of you are going to want to discuss this or read this so I don't mind if you don't want to read this blog post it's just something that I feel very strongly about.


*
Now, if we look in magazines or on the internet they're pictures everywhere of tall, thin models in amazing high end fashion that we would probably never be caught dead in but it's not the fashion that catches our eye. It's the size of the models that we, especially as young girls, see. It's as if we don't even take notice of their makeup or hair or fashion it's their body shape and size. Nothing else matters to us than that.

It happens with our favourite actresses, singers or any other famous person we look up or even someone at school for some reason something goes off in our heads and we think 'oh I wish I looked like her' or 'I wish my body looked more like hers.' It's kind of a bit mental as if this thing about weight takes over our lives because we want to achieve "PERFECTION."

This is what the dictionary has to say on the term perfect:


*

However, there's a minor flaw in this. Being "perfect" or "perfection" actually isn't achievable. There's always going to be something that we don't like about ourselves or wish that we could change about ourselves. I know you might be thinking but there's all types of surgeries that people can get these days to achieve 'perfection' but there isn't. What about if someone wanted to change the size of their feet to achieve perfection? Is there a surgery for that? I don't believe that there is.

*
I don't understand why people want to achieve this image of "perfection." Yes I'd love to lose some weight around my stomach and make my thighs a bit slimmer but that isn't what I want to achieve my image of "perfection" because I know that I will never be perfect for as long as I live. It's a true fact.

"Have no fear of perfection, you'll never reach it." -Salvador Dari

I want to come back to a point I made earlier about famous people. We might see them as being totally perfect but we never see them with their family and friends. You know what's probably also the truth as well, they feel the same as us. We might think that they're perfect but they might not think that. They might think that they have imperfections that we think that we have.

"The pursuit of excellence is gratifying and healthy. The pursuit of perfection is frustrating, neurotic and a terrible waste of time." -Edwin Bliss

Next time you look at someone in the corridor or in a magazine or in a film don't think that you wish you could be like them remember that they probably think that they've got imperfections of their own. Remember that you are the best you that you can be. You're perfect in your own way and never let anyone tell you any different.

*
* = Not my Picture

No comments:

Post a Comment