Saturday, 22 October 2016

Tea Talk #11 | Mental Health Is Not A Fashion Statement.

I've been away. I've been away for a looonnnggg time. I've been adjusting to life as an A Level student but I finally feel like I've settled into it so here I am. I'm back. When I came back to writing blog posts I was trying to originally catch up with all the blog posts that I'd missed but then I realised that that was never going to happen so I'm starting afresh. There were a few blog posts that I wanted to still upload and most of them were Tea Talks so that's what I'm bringing you today. I thought today we'd dive a bit deeper into issues I think are important so I hope you've all got your snorkels at the ready. Today we're talking about how mental health has become a fashion statement and how it actually isn't a fashion statement at all in the slightest.



Mental health is personally something that I haven't experienced but I know people close to me who have battled mental health no matter how long they've been battling it for. It's awful to see someone you love go through something that they feel completely alone in but what I find even more awful is seeing social media big it up to the extent that it becomes a normal thing that everyone thinks that they're dealing with. Over the past five years, I feel that the Internet has become this place where issues such as mental health and mental disorders have been normalised to the extent where when people talk about their mental health others brush it aside saying that someone's tired or just needs to eat or needs to chill out. THIS ISN'T HOW WE SHOULD BE DEALING WITH MENTAL HEALTH! What we need to be doing is letting people know that it's okay not to be okay and even though we aren't going through what they're going through that people aren't as alone as they feel. Please tell me that I'm not the only person who feels this way.



There needs to be a change and this change needs to happen quickly. We need to stop using sayings about mental health like the ones above. I'm not an angel, from time to time I've said something about mental health that I shouldn't be saying because it's not true, I haven't got O.C.D., and my friends have this joke that I'm Bipolar, things like this need to HAVE TO stop, RIGHT NOW! We need to #StopTheStigma surrounding mental health and I think that if the small group of people who are reading this blog post right now start to do that then it might spread to a larger group of people are helping to fight the stigma and stereotypes surrounding mental health. Even if you personally haven't been affected by mental health I'm sure you'll know of someone who has and to let their problems be normalised and seem unimportant isn't right so let's stand up and fight!


Someone who I really find an educator of mental health is Nicole. Nicole is a fellow blogger and owns the blog 'Thrifty Vintage Fashion.' Nicole is someone who isn't afraid to share how she feels about mental health or her own personal mental health and for that I am grateful. I've always felt like a bit of an amateur when it comes to trying to help someone with a mental health problem bu through Nicole's blog I really feel a lot more informed about how people who have mental health problems feel. So I'm thankful that Nicole is a strong, brave individual who can speak so openly about issues, stigmas and stereotypes surrounding mental health. I'm going to leave a link to Nicole's blog here so you can all check her out because she can really teach you a thing or two.

I want to end this blog post with some links to organisations and support groups that can help people with mental health but don't think that these are the only people who can help you. If you ever want to talk to someone my DM's are always open to any of you who feel lonely and want to talk to someone. Remember that you're not alone with whatever you're going through, there's always someone to speak to whether that be me or a professional.

Mind: http://www.mind.org.uk/
YoungMinds: http://www.youngminds.org.uk/
SANE: http://www.sane.org.uk/#
Together: http://www.together-uk.org/
Student Minds: http://www.studentminds.org.uk/


2 comments:

  1. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS! I'm so tired of people talk about mental illness like it doesn't matter. As someone with anxiety and gets panic attacks I get so offended.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post. It is so so so important! xx

    ReplyDelete